Hold onto your hats! It’s a whirlwind week of fashion-related exhibition openings and closings! The Ryerson Image Centre is beginning its lineup of winter exhibitions, including Burn With Desire: Photography and Glamour. The show looks at how photography defined Hollywood glamour beginning in the 1920s up until today. With works by Edward Steichen, Annie Leibovitz, Richard Avedon, Andy Warhol and more, this is sure to be a must-see!
However, you may want to save this week for the two closing exhibitions. If you haven’t seen Fashion Follows Form: Designs for Sitting at the ROM or Politics of Fashion/Fashion of Politics at the Design Exchange, now is your last chance. The ROM show focuses on Canadian designer Izzy Camilleri who has created a stylish line of clothing for people in wheelchairs. As for Politics of Fashion, I haven’t seen it yet (gasp!) but will probably be one of many who will catch it before it goes this weekend. I’ve heard mixed reviews but who am I kidding?! It includes pieces by Alexander McQueen, so you know I’m there!
- opening: Opening Reception: Winter Exhibitions, Ryerson Image Centre, January 21, 6-8pm
- exhibition: Burn With Desire: Photography and Glamour, Ryerson Image Centre, January 21-April 5, 2015
- pop up: Julie Sinden at Freedom Clothing, Freedom Clothing Collective, January 24, 3-7pm
- exhibition: Fashion Follows Form: Designs for Sitting, Royal Ontario Museum, closes January 25
- exhibition: Politics of Fashion/Fashion of Politics, Design Exchange, closes January 25
- film: Advanced Style, Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, till February 18
- exhibition: Fashion Victims: The Pleasure and Perils of Dress in the 19th Century, Bata Shoe Museum, June 18, 2014 – June 30, 2016
- tour: exhibition tour of Burn with Desire and Anti-Glamour, Ryerson Image Centre, February 4, 6pm
- exhibition: Good Beginnings: Children’s Hats and Clothing from China, Textile Museum, February 11 – May 24, 2015
- event: All That Glitters: Carole Tanenbaum Vintage Collection Jewelry Benefit, Ryerson Image Centre, March 23, 12-8pm
- tour: exhibition tour of Burn with Desire and Anti-Glamour, Ryerson Image Centre, March 25, 6pm