One of the best things about the return to warmer weather is how it opens up your footwear options. I was pretty stoked to go out in my Converse the other day, and have been wearing out my new (to me) pair of brown leather ankle boots (see above) from Parkdale vintage shop Three Fates. My feet are doing a spring time happy dance! And they will be even happier if I win the latest John Fluevog contest! Beginning now till May 14, try on a pair of Fluevogs at any of their locations (in Toronto, that’s on Queen West and in the Distillery) for a chance to win a pair of shoes a year for 10 years. Such a sweet, sweet prize.
Or, if you prefer an event with better odds, you can try your luck at the #EtsyVintageSwap. Hosted by 96 Tears Vintage, the swap will be held at the Gladstone Hotel this Thursday. Participants are asked to bring up to 5 vintage pieces and will get a stamp for each piece, redeemable for any item at the event. I’ve picked up some great pieces at clothing swaps over the years, like a multicoloured Rachel Roy shift that I recently wore to an art exhibition opening. If you go, just remember one thing; in sartorial speak, “vintage” means it’s at least 20 years old. Your H&M sweater from last season does not count!
- contest: Win 10 Years of Free Shoes, John Fluevog stores, ongoing until May 14
- event: Alexander Wang Takeover, Jonathan + Olivia (49 Ossington Ave), April 9, 11am-8pm
- event: #EtsyVintageSwap, Gladstone Hotel, April 9, 6-10pm
- exhibition: Good Beginnings: Children’s Hats and Clothing from China, Textile Museum, February 11 – May 24, 2015
- exhibition: Fashion Victims: The Pleasure and Perils of Dress in the 19th Century, Bata Shoe Museum, June 18, 2014 – June 30, 2016
- event: Gardiner Shop Jewellery Show, Gardiner Museum Shop, April 17, 5-9pm
- event: Fashion Art Toronto Arts & Fashion Week, Daniels Spectrum, April 21-25
- seminar: Chinese Garments from the TMC Collection, Textile Museum of Canada, April 22, 6:30pm
- market: Leslieville Flea, Fermenting Cellar (28 Distillery Lane), April 26, 10am-4pm
- exhibition: Standing Tall: The Curious History of Men in Heels, Bata Shoe Museum, opens May 8
- exhibition: Artist Textiles: From Picasso to Warhol, Textile Museum, May 2 – Oct 4, 2015
- event: INLAND Spring 2015, 99 Sudbury St, May 2-3
- gala: TFI New Labels Fashion Show & Fundraiser, One King West, May 4, 8-11pm