How do you know you’re a grad student? When you realize at 7pm that you’ve been wearing your leggings backwards all day. I sat through two classes and dinner at the Bier Markt before realizing this. Yes, even the stylish make the occasional fashion faux pas.
While I love grad school, I wish I wasn’t so busy because this week is full of fun fashion events! The Women in Clothes book launch at gravitypope includes a storytelling twist on a clothing swap, while the Politics of Fashion/Fashion of Politics exhibition opens on Wednesday with a cool soirée at the Design Exchange. For those who want to get their learning on, George Brown’s Evolution of Fashion class starts this week, while the ROM is hosting a lecture by Patricia Harris, a founding member of the Friends of Textiles & Costume. Finally, the JCMH Music Festival Flea Market caps this busy week off with vintage clothing and other goodies to be found.
Oh, and in case you haven’t notice, it’s freezing in Toronto! Last week I went from wearing a sundress with sandals to bundling up in a trench coat over a long skirt, boots, tights and button-down shirt. Dressing for Canadian weather is a constant challenge but I say bring it on, Mother Nature! My inbox has been filling up with fall fashion imagery from all the shops, and I’m feeling particularly inspired by this look from Anthropologie.
Quick style tip: skip the polyester and go for a skirt that’s wool or wool blend. It’s like wearing a stylish blanket, and extra-snug when paired with leggings and tall boots for when the weather really drops down. I’ve seen lots of knee-length skirts at second-hand shops for a fraction of the price of this one, which isn’t even lined. Cheap fashion at high prices; now that’s a major faux pas!
- opening: Opening Reception for Politics of Fashion/Fashion of Politics, Design Exchange, September 17, 7-10pm
- event: Women in Clothes: A Conversation. A Clothing Swap. A Book Launch, gravitypope (1010 Queen Street West), September 18, 7-9pm
- exhibition: Politics of Fashion/Fashion of Politics (guest curated by Jeanne Beker), Design Exchange, September 18, 2014 – January 25, 2015
- class: Evolution of Fashion, George Brown College, September 18 – November 20, 6:30-9:30pm
- lecture: The Warp in My Life: 55 Years of Volunteering at the ROM, Royal Ontario Museum, September 19, 5-6pm
- market: JCMH Music Festival Flea Market, Junction City Music Hall, September 20, 12-6pm
- pop-up: Jack Lux Toronto Pop-Up, 536 Queen Street West (near Portland), July 23-October 23, 2014
- exhibition: Fashion Follows Form: Designs for Sitting, Royal Ontario Museum, June 21, 2014 – January 25, 2015
- exhibition: Fashion Victims: The Pleasure and Perils of Dress in the 19th Century, Bata Shoe Museum, June 18, 2014 – June 30, 2016
- event: Etsy: Made in Canada Day, MaRS building (101 College Street), September 27, 10am-4pm
- event: The Post Market, The Great Hall (1087 Queen st. West), September 28, 10am-5pm
- lecture: Fashion for Real Life, Royal Ontario Museum, October 7, 7-8:30pm
- workshop: Mastering Your Style, George Brown College, October 18 – October 25, 10am-4:30pm
- course: FASHION: The Evolution of Garment Construction, Royal Ontario Museum, October 19-November 23, 1:30pm-4:30pm
- event: World MasterCard Fashion Week Toronto, David Pecaut Square, October 20-24
- exhibition: Fashion Blows, The Room at Hudson’s Bay Queen Street, October 23-November 7
- sale: Catwalk 2 Closet, Direct Energy Centre CNE, October 23-25, 10am-9pm, October 26, 10am-5pm
- lecture: Currelly’s Cloth and Other Strange Stories, Royal Ontario Museum, October 24, 5-6pm
- event: ROM Friday Night Live: Fashion Global, Royal Ontario Museum, October 24, 7-11pm
- event: Gadsden’s Toronto Vintage Clothing Show, Artscape Wychwood Barns, October 26, 10-5pm
- event: reDesign 2014 Collection Launch & Party, KnollTextiles showroom, 100 Atlantic Avenue suite 200, November 4, 6:30-9pm
- lecture: 2014 Vaughan Lecture: The Fashion Doctors, Royal Ontario Museum, November 12, 7-9pm